ALEJANDRO SARAVIA’S PERUVIAN STYLE NIKEI BARRAMUNDI
This simple Barramundi crudo dish created by Pastuso chef Alejandro Saravia is sure to be a winner at your next dinner party. Quick to prepare, the lightly seasoned starter really shows off the natural flavour of Barramundi.
For Bonito Dashi:
1. Bring 700 ML of water to a simmer, add 300ml of room temperature water to hot water.
2. Add in the Bonito Flakes, when the bonito flakes start to move around inside the water, turn off the stove and strain gently. cool down and store in the fridge.
For the Nikei dressing:
3. In a pot, add all the ingredients and bring it to simmer in order to infuse all the ingredients together, set aside to cool.
4. Cut the fillet of Infinity Blue Barramundi in sashimi-thin strips using a very sharp knife.
5. Place the fish strips on the serving plate; sprinkle a little fine salt and cover with cling film;
6. Place the plate in the fridge for a few minutes to let the fish set.
7. Dressed the fish strips with the nikei dressing and garnish with thin slices of heirloom carrots and carrot tops or other herbs to your taste.
2 fillets Infinity Blue Barramundi
180 ml Soy sauce
360 ml Rice wine vinegar
5cm X 20 cm Kombu seaweed
500 ml Apple cider vinegar
1 red chilli
1 lt Bonito dashi
1 lt Water (for bonito dashi)
6g Dried Bonito Flakes (for bonito dashi)