CREAMY SMOKED BARRAMUNDI PIE
This creamy smoked barramundi pie is the perfect decadent winter warmer! Delicious and simple to prepare, it is the perfect family meal.
Serves 6 as a main
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
– Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
– Bring a medium sized pot to the boil and boil your potatoes for 15 minutes until they are slightly tender yet still firm. Stick a fork in them to check they are at a consistency you like. Drain your potatoes, cut them into quarters and set to the side.
– In a large deep dish fry pan on a low heat, fry the onion for 3 minutes then add the garlic and fry for a further 2 minutes stirring occasionally so the garlic does not burn. Place the onion and garlic in a separate bowl and set to the side.
– In the same pan on the same heat, add the butter and stir around until it’s all melted. Add the flour and using a whisk, whisk the flour through the butter until a smooth roux forms. Add one cup of milk at a time to the roux and whisk well until a smooth paste forms that is lump free. Repeat this step then add the cream, horseradish and fish sauce and leave to simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce reaches a consistency you are happy with. You want it to be quite thick and not too runny.
– Take the sauce off the heat and gently stir through the dill, spinach, parsley, lemon zest, cheese and fish. Squeeze over half the lemon juice and pour the sauce into an oven proof baking dish.
– In a small pot on a high heat, toast your panko breadcrumbs with a generous amount of salt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. It will take roughly 5 minutes for your breadcrumbs to toast but keep an eye on them as they can burn very quickly as they start to brown. You want them to be a lovely golden brown colour.
– Sprinkle the panko breadcrumbs all over the sauce and pop into the oven for 20 minutes.
– Leave the pie to sit for 10 minutes before serving and squeeze the remainder of the lemon juice over the individual serves. Enjoy with a simple green salad.
500g smoked barramundi
6 baby white potatoes
1 onion diced
2 garlic cloves crushed
1 tablespoon olive oil
50g salted butter
1/2 cup white all purpose flour
2 cups full fat milk
1/2 cup thick cream
1/2 tablespoon horseradish cream
1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1 bunch dill
1 bunch parsley
100g baby spinach
1 lemon zest + juice
Salt and pepper to taste