Jerk rubbed barramundi with dirty rice
September 19, 2022
Quick, easy and jam packed full of flavour, this Jerk Rubbed Wyndham Barramundi dish is the perfect way to spice up midweek dinners.
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 2 tsp Cajun spice blend
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 55 gm (¼ cup) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 sprigs bay leaves
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 300 gm okra, halved
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 320 gm (1½ cups) long grain white rice
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 500 ml (2 cups) chicken stock
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Preheat oven to 240˚C. For jerk rub, combine half the oil, half allspice, half Cajun spice blend, coriander, thyme, cayenne pepper and sugar in a bowl and season. Stuff cavity of barramundi with lemon slices and one sprig of bay leaf and rub marinade over fish; set aside to marinate while you make rice.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over high heat. Add okra and cook, tossing until just blistered (6 minutes); season to taste. Remove from pan, set aside and keep warm. Add celery and onion to pan, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened (4 minutes). Add rice, chilli, remaining allspice and Cajun spice blend, remaining bay and stir to coat.
- Add stock and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender (15 minutes). Add spring onions with okra, season to taste and stir to combine.
- Meanwhile, roast barramundi, until blistered and flesh is just cooked through at the bone (roughly 15 minutes).
- Rest for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with rice and lemon wedges.