Caramelised leek and smoked barramundi omelette
January 6, 2019
The perfect breakfast or brunch dish! Fit for a crowd, an easy family sunday morning or an intimate romantic breakfast on the terrace.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 1 leek, white and light green section only, sliced into rings
- 20g butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp crème fraiche
- 20g butter, extra
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 400g smoked barramundi, flesh flaked into small chunks
- 2 Tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp salmon roe pearls (Optional)
- 1 handful snow pea tendrilss, rinsed (Optional)
- Sea salt flakes and pepper, to taste
- Melt 20g butter in a 20cm non-stick frying pan over a low-medium heat. Add the olive oil and chopped leeks. Saute gently for around 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden and caramelised. Remove from the heat and stir through the crème fraiche. Season to taste, then transfer leeks to a plate and keep warm.
- Place the same frying pan over a low-medium heat again, and add 10g of the remaining butter. When melted, pour in half of the beaten egg mixture. Quickly stir the egg with a rubber spatula then swirl in the pan to cover the base evenly. Gently push cooked egg from edges of the pan towards the centre, allowing the uncooked egg to reach the hot pan surface. When the omelette is just set on top, slide out of the pan onto a serving plate. Repeat the process with the remaining butter and egg mixture and slide onto a second serving plate.
- Divide the caramelised leek, the smoked barramundi, chopped chives, salmon roe and snow pea tendrils between the two omelettes, season to taste, then fold the omelettes in half over the fillings to serve.